travNET / Kipling & Clark
E-Newsletter: January 2013
Happy New Year Friends, Clients, and Global Airline Partners!
Being the beginning of 2013, it is time to reflect on 2012 and the many air miles flown by our valued clients, staff, and our Lynch family. Based on the dizzying array of airlines we used over the past year, we have prepared a list of our favorites. These are the carriers we consider to have the best service and most convenient schedules worldwide. After careful consideration, here it is! Our travNET + Kipling & Clark Top 5 International Airlines of 2012!
Many Thanks! + Safe Travels
Kipling & Clark and travNET
Yes- Our #1 Kahuna!
Our #1 Favorite International Airline-
Despite the frustrations many of us experienced during the UA-CO merger transition, UA gets our consensus “THUMBS UP” as our overall #1 favorite international airline. When you look at the totality of what UA offers global travelers, it is difficult to argue with our choice to putUA at the top of our list.
- Most expansive route networks (Asia, Europe, South America, Middle East, and South Pacific) among all international carriers. United Airlines serves 63 different counties and 149 international destinations!
- Flat-Bed 55” seat pitch Business Class seats to all continents. Many of our frequent travelers often mention this as a big plus of their international travels. Knowing that United Airline's outstanding Flat-Bed Business Class product is available world-wide is reassuring when planning global schedules.
- The most code-share/award redemption opportunities through UA’s membership in the STAR ALLIANCE. (i.e. Lufthansa, ANA, China Airlines, Singapore Airlines, et.al.)
- UA Mileage Plus- perhaps the most successful mileage program anywhere!
- Also as many of you know, Kipling & Clark will be offering global private tours as part of United Airline's mileage plus redemption program!
Best Airline to Europe:
With Lufthansa's array of trans-atlantic flights and convenient schedules, and its high level of reliability, it's no wonder it gets our #1 Europe Airline pick!
Other Lufthansa Likes:
- Munich hub- Lufthansa has made Munich the most convenient gateway in all of Europe- small, nimble, and needing only a 30 minute LH to LH connection time! Our first class friends are big fans of Lufthansa's HON F Class circle lounge- its only rival is Cathay Pacific's in Hong Kong!
- Lufthansa's Business Class- Five years in the making, Lufthansa's V shaped Business Class seats are truly unique. It may seem contradictory at first to have passengers facing toward each other in Business Class, but ultimately, the Pearson-Llyod designed LH seats actually place passengers further apart. For our taller friends, the beds recline to a length of 6'5"! Gamini feels the Lufthansa Business Class seats take him to a whole new nirvana level!
Best Airline to Japan-
ANA, All Nippon Airways
Although our staff gives ANA our unanimous choice as our favorite carrier to Japan, our daughter, Zen, proudly proclaims ANA as the best airline anywhere! Zen feels the ANA cabin attendants matched the high touch service we experienced at the best ryokans in Kyoto (Tawaraya, Hiiragiya)- So kind and warm hearted. Another big plus is the delicious Japanese rice treats in-flight!
Our other ANA likes:
- ANA's subdued, understated cabin interior colors- tastefully designed in a simple wabi-sabiesque aesthetic
- Consistency of service- First, Business, Premium Economy: Regardless of the cabin section, we are amazed by the high level of service, always efficient and personal
- Innovation- With its female only lavatory option on all international flights and its exclusive use of our beloved TOTO toilets on its new 787 Dreamliner aircraft, ANA always seems to be on the cutting edge of passenger comfort. Reflecting the Shinto obsession with cleanliness, ANA proudly states that its TOTO toilets, "will refresh the parts that other airlines cannot reach!"- enough said!
-Kudos to Cathay Pacific CEO John Slosar-
Best International First Class:
Notwithstanding the many excellent First Class cabins available throughout the world, our client and staff consensus is that Cathay Pacific is numero uno! Similar to many of the Buddhist based cultures of Southeast Asia, Cathay's service culture seems to be almost intrinsic to its corporate identity.
Cathay's First Class "suites" combine space with spectacular detail to comfort- 17" personal TV's, the longest and largest sleeping beds in the sky, and of course, Cathay's trademark Asia-centered high-touch service. Bev is a big fan of the First Class Shanghai Tang "sleepsuits" (she now wears at home!) and the Acca Kappa on-board amenities. Our Zegna fans love the Ermenegildo Zenga travel bags given to Cathay's First Class passengers. Did I mention the abundant caviar?
Our First Class friends look forward to the completion of Cathay's renovated Wing First Class Lounge in Hong Kong this quarter (and its champagne bar!)
- On a personal note, kudos to Cathay Pacific CEO John Slosar, among the most engaging and forward-thinking airline executives we have had the pleasure of meeting.
Cathay's Asia-Centered Service
Photo of First Class Cabin
Favorite Private Jet:
The New G650!
(Not an airline, but a truly remarkable aircraft!)
Although none of our clients have yet to experience the ultra high-speed, luxury cabin the Gulfstream G650, it is our new favorite private jet of 2012. (The first delivery was actually December 2012! ) The G650 will re-define private jet transport with an amazing range of 8,000 miles. This range break-through will open up far-flung city pairs of NYC/TOKYO, LON/SHANGHAI, NYC/BUENOS AIRES, among others. The twin engine G-650 has a max speed of mach 0.925, with seating up to 18. Despite its USD 65 million cost, the G650 has a backlog for orders and Gulfstream is actually writing purchase contracts so that buyers cannot sell their spot on the wait list- supply and demand touching the global megarich!
G650's Spacious Interior